You know and love Sonny Corinthos but how much do you know the man who plays him? Check out these Fun Facts about Maurice Benard!
For his portrayal of mobster Sonny Corinthos, Maurice Benard received the Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in 2003.
- Benard got his daytime debut playing Nico Kelly on All My Children.
- Benards birth names is Mauricio Jose Morales. His mother is Salvadorian and his father is Nicaraguan.
- In 2015, he starred in the independent film The Ghost and the Whale, executive produced by his wife Paula.
- While in his early 20s, Benard was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and is a spokesperson for the treatment of the disorder with Mental Health America.
- His cousin Marvin Benard was a Major League Baseball outfielder who played with the San Francisco Giants, Chicago White Sox and Toronto Blue Jays.
- Benard and his wife Paula have four children including Paula’s sister who they adopted in 2008 when her mother passed away.
- In the upcoming film Nightmare Cinema starring Mickey Rourke, Benard plays a priest.
- His favorite actor is Al Pacino.
- He doesn’t just play a tough guy on TV! Benard’s hobbies include boxing and martial arts.