The year 2017 may be nearing an end but Port Charles has been feeling a little more like 2014. General Hospital has recently begun to revisit some of its unresolved stories from a few years ago. While I’m never a fan of starting and stopping stories – the poor pacing usually kills the viewer’s investment – the writers have done a decent job of weaving these nearly forgotten tales into today’s story lines.
Nathan has decided to take a closer look at his paternity thus discovering that Liesl had been less than honest about Victor Cassadine being his father. He hasn’t given much thought to his father so leaping into this story line could have been jarring. The writers wisely gave a good reason for Nathan’s renewed interest in his family tree. Maxie and him are about to have a baby and he was concern that the baby may have beta thalassemia, a hereditary condition that Danny Morgan got from the Cassadine branches in the family tree. It always felt a little strange to me that the beats of this story were never played especially since Nathan was left to believe he was a Cassadine and being a Cassadine is a big deal in Port Charles. I hope that when Nathan’s real father is finally revealed, it will have a lasting impact.
Emme Rylan is great. She has that feisty quality to her that Spencers should have. Unfortunately, she’s been the victim of bad writing for the majority of her time with the show. Fans of Lulu and Dante deserve something better than constant baby stories and a cop and investigative reporter are good ingredients for an adventure couple. It’s been a long time since Felicia’s mayoral campaign so it’s understandable that some viewers may be thinking “who cares?” But this isn’t about cleaning up loose ends on a dropped story line as much as it is about giving Lulu some needed redirection. Instead of fighting over babies, she can fight for injustices.
The week of December 25, 2017 will bring excitement as investigations will reshape what we know about loved characters. Change can be a very good thing, even if you have to use the past to do it. Remember to tune in daily and set your DVRs!
General Hospital will be pre-empted for the holidays on Monday, December 25, 2017.
- Sonny expresses his regrets.
- Sam looks to Kim for assistance.
- Anna encourages Finn to learn self-defense.
- Lulu’s determination remains steadfast.
- Nathan searches for answers regarding his paternity.
- Ava is afraid she may have overstepped.
- Maxie corners Amy.
- Obrecht makes a surprising confession.
- Dante takes great pride.
- Laura crosses paths with Stella.
- Anna revels in a small victory.
- Carly plays her familiar games.
- Lulu’s future looks bright.
- Michael leans on family for support.
- Nelle feels hopeful her situation will get better.
- Sam and Jason end up at the same place at the same time.
- Jason voices his sorrow.
- Drew end up stranded when his car mysteriously breaks down.
- Kim remains unclear about things.
- Dante disagrees with Lulu’s actions.
- Franco’s confusion grows.
- Amy hopes to have good news for Nathan.
- Carly is forced to face the music.